Saturday, May 7, 2011

Kindle Cover How-to

This is so super-fast! I made this in less than an hour, and so can you :)
What you need is one piece of focus fabric, one piece of fabric for lining and one piece of batting - I used a piece of a fleece blanket from IKEA, because that is what I had on hand.
Quick Kindle Cover
Each piece should be cut to measure 6 1/8'' by 16'' -if you have a Kindle 3G like I do.
The fabric in the photo is folded in half.

The first thing you do is to lay out all your fabric pieces. You place your focuse fabric right side up, and put your lining fabric on top of it wrong side facing  up. And then you place your batting on top of the lining fabric.
Should look like this:
Now you sew each short end with 1/4'' seam allowance.
I cut the batting close to the seam, to avoid bulk.
Do this at both ends of your fabric-pile. This is also the step where you can measure once more, to be sure your cover will have the right size at the end - just lay your Kindle on the fabric, line ot up to the first seam, fold the fabric over your Kindle, and see how much fabric is left for your second seam. I am a lazy measurer, so I need to do this....
Then you turn your fabric right side out, so you have the seams and the batting in the middle, and you lining fabric and focus fabric facing out.

Now you fold the cover in half, with the lining side facing out, and sew down each side, using 1/2'' seam allowance - like so
Quick Kindle Cover
I have cut the fabric close to the seams, maybe 1/8'', to avoid bulk.
Now you turn the cover right side out. make sure you turn the corners out as good as you can. I use a crochet hook or a knitting needle.

The you sew at 1/4'' from the side seam, on the front. This will make a french seam, and cover those fraying edges on the inside, so you don't get lint in you Kindle :)
Once you have done this on both sides, your cover is all done!!
Quick Kindle Cover
It is supposed to be a tight fit, you don't want your Kindle to slide out of the cover.
If you have questions or if you make a cover using this how-to, please let me know :)
This style will also work for your phone or an iPad. You just measure your phone/iPad and add 1/2'' seam allowance to the length and 1'' to the width (remember you need to cover both the height, front and back).
I would love to see your creations!

3 comments:

trash said...

Oh fabulous, this is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you :-)

Suzanne said...

Wonderful idea I must try this. Thanks Tine.

Messy Karen said...

what a treat to make something easy and so cute. happy mommy day!